Prof. Solange Ghernaouti is professor of the University of Lausanne, where she founded the Swiss Cybersecurity Advisory and Research Group, which deals with the socio-economic, managerial, legal, and technological dimensions of digital security. Her main focus for several years as a pioneer in the field has been on developing an interdisciplinary and integrative cybersecurity approach for citizens, organisations and states. After previously having worked as a network architect, an ISO standardisation expert, and a marketing product manager for international IT companies in France, she was, in 1987, the first woman professor of the Faculty of Business & Economics of the University of Lausanne.
She is Associate Fellow, Geneva Center for Security Policy, an internationally recognized expert on risk management, cybersecurity, cyberdefence and cybercrime related issues. She has contributed to several initiatives organised by international organisations, public and private institutions, research centres, and law enforcement agencies, among other instances of professional recognition all around the globe. She is an active independent security advisor, an influential analyst and a regular media commentator.
Professor Ghernaouti has authored more than 300 publications and more than thirty books on ICT and security issues, including “Cyberpower: Crime, Conflict and Security in Cyberspace” (EPFL press 2013), “Cybersecurity guide for developing countries” (ITU 2006), with Dr. Igli Tashi “Information Security Evaluation – a Holistic Approach” (EPFL Press 2011), with Judge Stein Schjolberg « A Global Treaty on Cybersecurity and Cybercrime – A contribution for peace, justice and security in cyberspace » (cybercrimedata, 2009).
Professor Ghernaouti, helds a Phd in Computer Science and Telecommunication (Paris-Sorbonne University), she is former auditor of the French Institute of Advanced Studies in National Defence, member of the scientific committee of the International Forum of Security Technologies, member of the Swiss Commission for UNESCO, member of the Swiss Academy of Technical Sciences, Solange Ghernaouti is Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur.
Solange Ghernaouti has repeatedly been recognised by the Swiss press as one of the outstanding women in professional and academic circles. She has been nominated as one of the hundred most important personalities who represent French-speaking Switzerland (Forum des 100, L’Hebdo, 2011); was included among the three hundred most influential personalities in Switzerland (Bilan, June 2011); was ranked among the twenty women who represent Switzerland (Bilan, 2012); and is one of the hundred most powerful women in Switzerland (Women in Business, 2012). In 2021, she was for the second time ranked among the hundred most influential personalities who make Switzerland digital (Bilan, 2021).
Professor Solange Ghernaouti in brief
- Doctor in Computer Sciences & Telecommunication of the University of Paris (Paris VI- Sorbonne)
- Director of the Swiss Cybersecurity Advisory and Research Group (SCARG)
- Director of the Complexity Science Research Group
- President of the Social Commission of the University of Lausanne
- President of the Fondation Erna Hamburger
- Knight of the Legion of Honour
- Member of the scientific committee of the International Forum on Technology and Security
- Associate Fellow of the Geneva Center for Security Policy (GCSP)
- Member of the Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences (SATW)
- Member of the steering committee for the strategic direction of crisis and cyber-risk management of the Federal Chancellery
- Member of the Association des Réservistes du Chiffre (ARCSI)
- Member of the Permanent Monitoring Panel on Information Security of the World Federation of Scientists[/infobox]
- Member of the Conseil Académique et Scientifique des rencontres du 7ème art de Lausanne (from 24 to 28 March 2018)